POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Golden Compass movie : The Golden Compass movie Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:20:50 EDT (-0400)
  The Golden Compass movie
From: Warp
Date: 28 Jun 2008 15:04:07
Message: <48668b27@news.povray.org>
I'm not really sure what I expected when I rented this movie, but I really
didn't expect it to be boring. However, it resulted to be, at least in my
view, just a parade of famous actors, one after another, none of which
really had a good role which would have shown their acting prowess and
charisma, excellent but not really innovative CGI (I hate to admit it, but
nowadays CGI has become more or less vulgar in most modern movies) and a
really confusing plot, which felt like they wanted to fit a very thick
book into 1 and a half hours of movie (which is most probably the case,
in fact, although I have not read the book so I can't really tell).

  It felt like you could perhaps enjoy the movie more if you had read the
book (although I wouldn't bet on that, as we all know about movie adaptations
of books), but without knowing anything at all about the story it was a bit
confusing and boring.
  It's not like movie adaptations of fantasy books couldn't be enjoyable.
I liked the Harry Potter movies even though I haven't read even a single
line of the books. However, The Golden Compass was just too erratic and
fast-paced for my liking. While it had its moments, overall it was more
boring than entertaining.

  Is it just me, or is Hollywood trying lately to cash on the success of
the LotR movies by making tons of similarly-themed fantasy movies based
on random fantasy books? Take a more or less successful fantasy book,
pour staggering amounts of money to produce a movie from it, and success
is guaranteed? For me the whole thing is getting tiresome.

--
                                                          - Warp